Joining multiple UCS Domains

Original German below, we prefer English.
Hello,
I have a basic question about domain handling, the documentation doesn’t really help me.

I have three UCS domains, domain A is the main domain, B and C are separate full-fledged domains, each at a different location. All three servers are UCS domain masters.

Since there are different users working at each location, that was perfectly fine until now. However, since certain services are offered in the main domain that require an account in domain A and these services are also to be used in the other locations, I would like to merge the accounts of the domains. So far you have two accounts with the same password, but I find that unnecessary, so I want to change that.

In principle, I’m only concerned with one domain being responsible for user administration, but I’m not sure what the best way to do this is.

In the documentation and in certain forum entries the AD Connector is mentioned, but it is meant for the trust position with a Windows AD, can it also be used between two UCS domains?

Otherwise I would only think of setting up a new UCS Domain Slave that points to domain A. The problem I have with this is the rework, such as rejoining the servers and adapting the new user profiles on site, etc., which I would like to avoid.

Any idea how I can best do that?

====================================================

Hallo,
Ich habe eine grundsätzliche Frage zum Domänenhandling, die Doku hilft mir da nicht wirklich weiter.

Ich habe drei UCS-Domänen, Domäne A ist die Hauptdomäne, B und C sind separate vollwertige Domänen an jeweils einem anderen Standort. Alle drei Server sind UCS Domain-Master.

Da an jedem Standort unterschiedliche Nutzer arbeiten, war das bisher auch vollkommen in Ordnung. Da aber bestimmte Dienste in der Hauptdomäne angeboten werden, die einen Account in Domäne A erfordern und diese Dienste auch an den anderen Standorten genutzt werden sollen, möchte ich die Accounts der Domänen gerne zusammenführen. Bisher hat man halt zwei Accounts mit dem selben Passwort, das finde ich aber unnötig, daher möchte ich das ändern.

Prinzipiell geht es mir nur darum, dass eine Domäne für die Benutzerverwaltung zuständig ist, ich bin mir nur nicht sicher, was die beste Vorgehensweise dafür ist.

In der Doku und in gewissen Foren Einträgen wird auf den AD Connector hingewiesen, aber der ist ja für die Vertrauensstellung mit einer Windows AD gedacht, lässt der sich zwischen zwei UCS Domänen auch anwenden?

Sonst würde mir aus meinem Verständnis heraus nur einfallen, einen neuen UCS Domain Slave einzurichten, der auf die Domäne A zeigt. Das Problem was ich damit habe, sind die Nacharbeiten, wie das Umjoinen der Server und anpassen der neuen Benutzerprofile vor Ort usw, was ich gerne vermeiden möchte.

Irgendeine Idee, wie ich da am Besten vorgehen kann?

Hi,

there is no way to join existing UCS domains. You will need to create a new one and manually (or with the help of some scripts) add your users.

/CV

Thanks for the answer. Do you mean by this, creating new slave domaincontrollers at the remote locations is no alternative?

I would loose two domains, but at least I could keep my main domaincontroller and the users in it.

Hi,

yeah well. Yes, this way it is possible, too.

Install a new server on your location B and let it join to domain A. Same for C. Thus you keep Domain A, indeed.

Note: Consider installing at least one server with backup role instead of slave. Just for failure scenario.

/CV

I already have a backup domaincontroller at my main location. Is it necessary/possible to also have a backup server for a slave?

Ah no. That’s fine then. In case you have a backup just install slaves on your remote location.

/CV

1 Like
Mastodon