Howto change from Horde to Kopano

Hi,

i’m using a ucs - horde server for mails. Some clients want to use Microsoft Outlook with calender and addressbook. So the best way would be to run kopano? Am i right with this?

Can i use horde and kopano at the same server? If not, is there any howto document for changeing from horde to kopano?

Thank your for your answers
Kind regards

Jochen

Hi @Jochen77,

From the apps available from the Univention appcenter, most definitely :wink: But have in mind that Outlook nowadays is engineered to only fully work with Exchange/Office365, so using it with any other server will result in Outlook working a bit different or single features not being available.

You cannot install Horde and Kopano on the same system, since both packages conflict with each other. So you would need to install Kopano on a dedicated server. This then also would need some trickery in your Postfix configuration to route traffic to the server where it actually needs to end up.

There is no specific document for such a migration, but in the end you will need move your mails with imapsync.

O.K. Thank you for your reply.

I don’t want to use Office 365. If there are some features not running with kopano this will be o.k. for me. The UCS runs on a VM so it would be easy to create a second server just for kopano.

Then:

1.) set up a 2nd UCS with Kopano as a member Server of the AD-domain
2.) move the mails with imapsync
3.) deinstall horde and mailserver on machine 1
4.) tell the imap clients to use server 2
5.) tell the outlook clinents to use server 2 as exchange server

Is this the right way?

Kind regards
Jochen

yes, that sounds about right.

I should add that there is a known issue with the specific version that is available from the app center that leads to some mails being displayed as blank in outlook (use the forum search this has been discussed at multiple occasions). so you probably want to get a trial key from https://kopano.com/kopano-trial-download/ for your test installation and then upgrade to the latest kopano from our repository (the app tells you how, but there is a blog scheduled for this week that explains it in more detail).

O.K. thank you. I will read this first.

My plan was to try the core editon first and when all runs well buy a subscription in the next step.

Kind regards

Jochen

Mastodon