How to manage Contacts?

What is the best practice to manage Contacts (users without credentials) in UCS?

That depends on what you’re planning to use them for. If all you need is a basic LDAP entry with contact information for external applications then you can create a user and deactivate »Samba account«, »Posix account« and »Kerberos principal« on the »Options« tab. I’d suggest creating a container for all those contacts and not to mix them with regular user accounts within the same container.

If you need something more specialized like a contact for the Zarafa Groupware server then you can even use a template for such entries called »Zarafa Contact« when creating a user.

Like I said, it depends on what you want to do with them later on.

Hi Moritz,

Thanks for your explanation. I created some “contacts” in a special OU. After creation I cannot disable »Samba account«, »Posix account« and »Kerberos principal« on the »Options« tab. Those options are grayed out.

Is it possible to change this settings after creation of a user?

Not easily, no. Just do it when you create the user.

I suggest you also take a look at the user templates and create one for which those three options are deactivated by default. User templates are described in chapter 6.6 of the admin manual.

Mastodon