Documentation of UCS 3.x vs 4.0

Dear UCS community,

I am new to UCS and installing it to a dedicated server. I noticed that there is instructions for RAID1 configuration in the UCS 3.2 documentation, but in the UCS 4.0 documentation there is no such documentation for RAID1. Can I follow the RAID1 configuration example of UCS 3.2 on UCS 4.0?

Also I’d like to ask is there other parts in the UCS 3.x documentation that can be used on UCS 4.0 as such but not included in the UCS 4.0 documentation?

Hi,

since version 4 UCS is using the standard Debian installer which already has the ability to configure Software-RAID.

You have to use the “Manual” mode to configure the disks. Once there is a partition table on both disks you will see a “Configure software RAID” entry.

I dont think there is urgent need for a special documentation on UCS as one can follow existing information like the standard Wheezy-docs or summaries like installation of debian wheezy on mdadm raid1 + gpt.

Best Regards,
Dirk Ahrnke

Thank You for the answer!

Basically I am thinking what are the exact values I should enter for each partition; what would be the best practices configuration for a typical UCS production server. I haven’t installed RAID1 before and I try to not mess up anything. :slight_smile:

Hi,

I dont have much experiences with software based RAID as we prefer hardware based solutions.

The Howto I mentioned in my previous post seems to be complete and adoptable for UCS without major changes. However the exact values will depend on your disc layout.

Best Regards,
Dirk Ahrnke

Thanks Dirk for your replies. I have studied filesystems, partitioning, LVM, RAID etc. and I hope I have now enough knowledge to continue the installation.

One more question about documentation: Can I follow the Chapter 16. Data backup with Bacula section of the manual as such when I am using Bareos (Bacula fork) instead of Bacula?

Hi

[quote=“Jusle”]One more question about documentation: Can I follow the Chapter 16. Data backup with Bacula section of the manual as such when I am using Bareos (Bacula fork) instead of Bacula?[/quote]I think the configuration of bareos should basically work as with bacula so you may follow the bacula documentation on this but it may need some adaption, though.

Regards,
Janis Meybohm

Mastodon