Can't join existing Windows DC

Hi,
absolutely new to UCS and it’s been a while I saw Linux, so bear with me, please.

UCS 4.3, trying to join the existing Server2012 R2 Domain.
Installation hangs forever then finishes, but obviously without integration into the domain.

Below’s an excerpt of the join protocol with the first error message. Others follow subsequently, but maybe the first one is the root of all other problems as well. 2009.beta is the correct name of our domain.

We really would like to get in touch with UCS to test if this is an option for us.
Need to replace outdated gear (old linux installation with Postfix/Squid etc.), and are about to incorporate Exchange etc. in Q1/2020 unless there are other alternatives.

thanks in advance!

Failed creating the DNS zone 2009.beta.\nCommand failed with 1:\nE: failed nameserver: A host name or FQDN must start and end with a letter or number. In between additionally dashes, dots and underscores are allowed.
Adding ZONE record “root@2009.beta. 1 28800 7200 604800 10800 UCS2019Test.2009.beta.” to zone 2009.beta…
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/usr/share/univention-admin-tools/univention-dnsedit”, line 461, in
main()
File “/usr/share/univention-admin-tools/univention-dnsedit”, line 434, in main
add_zone(*args)
File “/usr/share/univention-admin-tools/univention-dnsedit”, line 391, in add_zone
zone[‘nameserver’] = list(nameserver)
File “/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.7/univention/admin/handlers/init.py”, line 434, in setitem
raise univention.admin.uexceptions.valueInvalidSyntax("%s: %s" % (key, err), property=key)
univention.admin.uexceptions.valueInvalidSyntax: nameserver: A host name or FQDN must start and end with a letter or number. In between additionally dashes, dots and underscores are allowed.
JOINERR:FAILED: /usr/lib/univention-install/05univention-bind.inst

Update on the version: don’t know how I got this mixed up, but it’s 4.4.2
It still does not work of course.

I have some other problems, maybe related to that one, maybe not. Even without integration into existing AD, I think I should be able to

Vielleicht hilft schon ein Eintrag in die /etc/hosts 192.168.1.10 server.dom.ain server

IT-BIZZ, thanks for your answer. Some routing problem might indeed be at the root of this, because also, while I can use the Firefox browser integrated into UCS to basically surf to any website I’d like, UCS itself keeps complaining that it does not have access to e.g. App-Storage etc.

I’d need a bit more guidance here, though, please. Console based managing of Linux machines is some 11 years ago for me. Where would I be supposed to make that entry? And which address would I put there? Starting UCS I don’t have access to the console, unless I terminate the GUI and log back on as root (other users don’t work, of course, since AD integration failed).

I suppose you’re talking about editing the hosts file of the UCS machine, and putting there the IP-Adress of the Windows AD Host, right? (192.168.0.89 btw.).
UCS itself is in the same subnet, btw. with 192.168.0.244.

If that’s of any importance, I am using the Hyper-V machine on a Win-8 Hyper-V host.

Thanks for all help.
Am about to do another test without integration into AD at all, just to get some first steps with UCS done at all.

Sorry, was to busy the past days;
Networking: it’s hard, to find the starting point. Entry in /etc/hosts: [ip.add.re.ss] TAB your_primary.domain.controler TAB your_primary
$ service networking restart
$ ssh root@your_primary.domain.controler # you should be able to access your server via terminal

Mastodon